Smoking a tobacco pipe
Smoking a tobacco pipe feels like a gentleman’s endeavor. Think about it, what is the first image that comes to your mind when you imagine a smoking pipe? It is often connected with a gentleman’s appeal. Despite being an age-old practice, it remains a luxury to smoke a tobacco pipe. It is distinctive, and you stand out from the mediocre cigarette smokers.
Smoking a pipe is a rich experience, but not many know how to do it properly. If you’re a seasoned smoker, you may be well versed. However, if you’re a beginner or a rookie, then you might have no idea what you’re getting into. Regardless of your experience, this article will teach you how to use a tobacco pipe. You will learn how to use tobacco and how to smoke by using the pipe. So, without further ado, let’s begin!
Things To Have
This is just a quick checklist of things you should have before we begin:
- A Pipe: Try to have a wooden pipe for an authentic experience. The metal filter is optional. Try to go for a traditional style.
- Pipe Tamp: It is a tool that comes with the smoking pipe, which looks like a skewer or a screwdriver without too much edge. It is used in a tobacco filling process to adjust the tobacco. How? You will learn below.
- Pipe Tobacco: For beginners, the aromatic blend might be the right choice. However, you can get mild experience from any Cavendish type of tobacco. Alternatively, you can opt for small tin samples of the tobaccos to find your perfect partner. For a cut, try to go for a ribbon cut or flake cut for the starters.
- Pipe Cleaner: People often overlook this, but you should always have a pipe cleaner. Before or after every smoke, it is a good idea to use a pipe cleaner to maintain your pipe for longevity.
Finally, you will need a matchstick or lighter to ignite the tobacco once you’re ready. Now that you have these things, let’s move to the actual process of smoking.
The Pipe Tobacco Filling
Before you begin the filling, understand that if you got the ribbon cut, you could directly fill it in the pipe. However, if you got a flake cut tobacco, then you might have to rub it a little to soften it in your hands.
After that, you will follow a three-pinch rule. It goes like this:
- The first pinch will be the smallest, drop the tobacco in the pipe but keep it well-spread for the tobacco.
- The second pinch will be bigger and aimed to fill the pipe finely. Don’t use the tamp too much to press tightly or pack the tobacco. Use it only to adjust the tobacco.
- A third pinch will be mild and aimed to cover the remaining part of the pipe. Even if you fail to cover the pipe, don’t go for a fourth pinch. Believe it; this is sufficient.
Now lightly use the tamp to make sure that the tobacco is well-adjusted.
Burning The Tobacco
Now all you need is a lighter or match to burn the tobacco. Understand this; many smokers prefer to light up the upper surface of the pipe completely. After that, they use the tempt to slightly push the flame inside the pipe. This is done to offer an even burn. However, you can light the pipe in one part for a start. Over time, you will gain experience to learn how to burn tobacco like that.
Secondly, be prepared for the burn to fade over time. Many smokers, even veterans, have to light up the pipe again and again to enjoy the smoke. So, for the starters, it is fine too. You can also use temp to adjust the ashes and tobacco and burn it again.
Viola! Enjoy Your Smoke
There you go, now you know how to smoke like a professional. If you feel like you need to appear more experienced, then always carry a water bottle or something else to drink. When you smoke, your throat will often dry down and require hydration. It is also a time-consuming activity. You need at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes to truly enjoy smoking. Once you have these things in mind, you will smoke without any problem.
That’s all you need to know to smoke a tobacco pipe! Enjoy!